We’re three days away from Desperation in Death arriving on shelves, to your house by mail or to your e-reader by magic, so that means it’s time for a few teasers. Not spoilers, just a few little things to notice as you read.
Usually I have some ideas of what will work as teasers when I first read an in Death — in this case, January. But this is a case that is worked in fewer than five days. There’s a lot pushing Eve in Desperation from every direction. Even scenes that lighten the mood momentarily could spoil the experience.
Here’s the official cover copy:
As Desperation opens, two girls plot to escape The Pleasure Academy – a place of living nightmares. Dorian, a thirteen-year-old runaway might never have made it out if not for her fellow inmate Mina, who’d hatched the escape plan. Mina may have been the more daring of the two—but they’d been equally desperate.
Unfortunately, they didn’t get away fast enough. Now Dorian, injured, terrified, wanders the streets of New York. Mina lies dead near the waterfront while Lt. Eve Dallas looks over the scene.
Mina’s expensive, elegant clothes and beauty products convince Dallas she was being groomed, literally and figuratively, for sex trafficking—and that whoever is investing in this high-overhead operation expects windfall profits. Roarke worries about the effect this case is having on Dallas, as it brings a rage to the surface she can barely control. No matter what, she must keep her head clear–because above all, she’s desperate for justice and to take down those who prey on and torment the innocent.
In the end, I decided that it would be best to share some questions I pondered during the read and reread. Next time I may go back to riddles, or in a real challenge, haikus.
- There’s a person who DOESN’T know Eve from the vid?
- Should I rename my bras? (you’ll see)
- Who would you choose as the next cop to step up for an an exam?
- Is Roarke allowed to apply Master of all He Surveys practices to work the Marriage Rules?
- Who knew our favorite entrepreneur carried warm weather gear?
- Who would come out on top if Eve and Mavis ever really had a fight?
- Nannies can come in all shapes and sizes.
- Finally, in a departure, my favorite line: “Uh-oh. Mom’s home.”
I’ll open the discussion thread early on Tuesday, so you can discuss any and all thoughts there.